Docstrings considered too complicated

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Mar 3 21:28:03 EST 2010

In article <mailman.201.1267632673.23598.python-list at python.org>,
 "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at druid.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:42:00 +0000
> MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> > Gregory Ewing wrote:
> > Mk14 from Science of Cambridge, a kit with hex keypad and 7-segment
> > display, which I had to solder together, and also make my own power
> > supply. I had the extra RAM and the I/O chip, so that's 256B (including
> > the memory used by the monitor) + 256B additional RAM + 128B more in the
> > I/O chip.
>
> In case some of you youngsters think that there is a typo in the above,
> no, he means a total of 640 bytes.  In today's terms that would be
> approx 0.0000006GB.

640 bytes!  Man, did you have it easy.  When I was a kid, we had to walk 10
miles uphill to school in the snow, oh, wait, wrong story.  When I was a
kid, we had a D2 kit (http://tinyurl.com/yfgyq4u).  We had 256 bytes of
RAM.  And we thought we were lucky!  Some of the other kids, if they wanted
to store a number, they had to scratch the bits into stone tablets with
their bare hands...

When's the last time you had a computer where the instruction manual warned
you against wearing silk or nylon clothing?