Partly erratic wrong behaviour, Python 3, lxml

Jussi Piitulainen jpiitula at
Thu Mar 4 22:40:39 CET 2010

Stefan Behnel writes:
> Jussi Piitulainen, 04.03.2010 11:46:
> > I am observing weird semi-erratic behaviour that involves Python 3
> > and lxml, is extremely sensitive to changes in the input data, and
> > only occurs when I name a partial result. I would like some help
> > with this, please. (Python 3.1.1; GNU/Linux; how do I find lxml
> > version?)
> Here's how to find the version:

Ok, thank you. Here's the results:

(2, 2, 4, 0) (2, 6, 26) (2, 6, 26) (1, 1, 17) (1, 1, 17)

> I'll give your test code a try when I get to it. However, note that
> the best place to discuss this is the lxml mailing list:

Thank you. Two things, however. First, I snipped out most of the XML
document in that post, so it won't be runnable as is. As I think I
said, my attempts to edit it down to size made the bug hide
itself. Second, it's very sensitive to any changes in that XML.

Oh, and a third thing. I'm not at all sure yet that the bug is in
lxml. It seems to me that Python itself does impossible things - I
hope I'm just being blind to something obvious, really.

But if you like to try it out, I'll post the full test data as a
followup to this. It's just bogus test data.