Evaluate my first python script, please

Pete Emerson pemerson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 10:53:06 EST 2010

Thanks for your response, further questions inline.

On Mar 4, 11:07 am, Tim Wintle <tim.win... at teamrubber.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 10:39 -0800, Pete Emerson wrote:
> > I am looking for advice along the lines of "an easier way to do this"
> > or "a more python way" (I'm sure that's asking for trouble!) or
> > "people commonly do this instead" or "here's a slick trick" or "oh,
> > interesting, here's my version to do the same thing".
>
> (1) I would wrap it all in a function
>
> def main():
>     # your code here
>
> if __name__ == "__main__":
>     main()

Is this purely aesthetic reasons, or will I appreciate this when I
write my own modules, or something else?

> (2) PEP8 (python style guidelines) suggests one import per line
>
> (3) I'd use four spaces as tab width
>
> (4)
> I'd change this:
>
> >     for arg in sys.argv[1:]:
> >         for section in hostname.split('.'):
> >             if section == arg:
> >                 count = count + 1
> >                 break
>
> to something more like:
>
>     for section in hostname.split("."):
>         if section in sys.argv[1:]:
>             count += 1

Ah, yes, I like that. It moves towards the set notation I've wound up
with. Definitely more readable to me.

> (although as you suggested I'd only calculate sys.argv[1:] once)
>
> ... or you could replace whole section between the for loop and
> hosts.append with:
>
>     if sorted(hostname.split(".")) == sorted(sys.argv[1:]):
>         host.append(hostname)

This doesn't actually work, because I'm not looking for a one to one
mapping of args to sections of hostname, but rather a subset. So
passing in 'prod sfo' would register a match for '001.webapp.prod.sfo'.