compiler with python

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sat Mar 6 10:56:19 EST 2010

mohamed issolah wrote:

> 2010/3/6 Dave Angel <davea at ieee.org>
>

>> mohamed issolah wrote:
>>

>>> hey,
>>>
>>> How can I construct a compiler with python just for informatiom ., I have
>>> habit to construct it with C language,
>>>
>>> sorry for my english ;-)
>>>

>> You need to tell us what you're really trying to do, what tools you're
>> willing to use, and probably why you want it.  And if you're not sure about
>> your English, keep the sentence structure straightforward.
>>
>> Let me make a couple of wild guesses:
>>

>> You want to design and build a compiler that takes xml information as its
>> source code, and compiles those xml files into Intel x86 machine code.  The
>> compiler and the resulting executable needs to run on an x86 Linux machine.
>>  Your previous experience was in doing this sort of thing in C, but you want
>> to try it with Python instead.  You want to do it without using the lxml
>> libraries.
>>
>> You want to build a python compiler, that takes python source code and
>> produces Java byte code files.  You'd like to do this in C, but don't want
>> to use any of the available existing CPython or Jython source code.  Your
>> goal is not to make a commercially viable product, but to learn as much as
>> possible in the process.
>>

>> DaveA
>>

> hey,
>
> I want to create a compiler which transform a code like pascal code (that
> what I do in C) to "quad"
> In C, I use BISON and FLEX tools.

I've forwarded your message to the list, and fixed your top-posting by
moving your response to the bottom.  I don't have a clue what "quad" is,
unless it's a synonym for Forth.

You haven't specified the OS you'll be using to run the compiler, nor
the one you're targeting, so some of these choices may not be useful.
For example, the first one is Linux only.

http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/pybison/
     PyBison - Python binding for Bison/Flex

http://freshmeat.net/projects/yeanpypa/
http://www.slash-me.net/dev/snippets/yeanpypa/documentation.html

http://www.python.org/community/sigs/retired/parser-sig/towards-standard/

Or you could go here, which has links to (most of) these and others.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/LanguageParsing

DaveA