async notification handling w/o threads/polling (similiar to kill -hup)?

News123 news123 at free.fr
Sat Mar 6 18:53:39 EST 2010

Hi,

I'd like to notify python processes asynchronously.
at notification time a callback should be called

The solution should be working on linux and Windows.

I could add a wrapper to switch between a windows / linux implementation
though

If possible I'd like to avoid
- having to poll for an external event
- having to add a thread.
- changing my existing code

I thought about using   signal and os.kill()
However windows does not to have SIGHUP , SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2.
So I'm not sure, which signal I could use with windows.

Apart from that there's one minor problem with signals
which might speak against using signal
All blocking io calls might be interrupted, which is not desirable in my
case.

Do you have any suggestions for
Linux / WIndows or both?

#### example code with signals #################
#### a blocking io call here reading a named pipe
#### would be interrupted
import signal
a = 0
def handler(signum,frame):
    global a
    a += 1

signal.signal(signal.SIGUSR1,handler)
print "hi"
p = open("namedpipe")
while True:
    v = p.read(2)
    print "V:",a,len(v)
    if len(v) != 2: break

print "var a changed, but read() was interrupted :-("

bye