Conditional based on whether or not a module is being used

Steve Holden steve at
Sun Mar 7 13:34:41 CET 2010

Vinay Sajip wrote:
> Well, the logging package is available in Python and ready for use and
> pretty much battle tested, so why not use that? Are you planning to
> use third-party libraries in your Python work, or write everything
> yourself? If you are planning to use third party libraries, how would
> their logging be hooked into your logger module? And if not, is it
> good to have two logging systems in parallel?
> Of course as the maintainer of Python's logging package, you'd expect
> me to be biased in favour of it. You maybe shouldn't let that sway
> you ;-)

My own impression of the logging module, formed from trying to use its
documentation in the past, is that it's somewhat unapproachable, and
difficult to use for simple purposes.

I am happy to say that now I see the current (3.1) documentation it has
improved to the point where I would be happy to try using it again.
Thanks for your long-term maintenance of this package.

PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010
Holden Web LLC