Asynchronous HTTP client

pingooo ping.nsr.yeh at
Sun Mar 7 15:40:36 CET 2010

2010/3/7 <exarkun at>

> On 06:53 am, ping.nsr.yeh at wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to find a way to create an asynchronous HTTP client so I
>> can get responses from web servers in a way like
>>  async_http_open('', callback_func)
>>  # immediately continues, and callback_func is called with response
>> as arg when it is ready
>> It seems twisted can do it, but I hesitate to bring in such a big
>> package as a dependency because my client should be light. Asyncore
>> and asynchat are lighter but they don't speak HTTP. The asynchttp
>> project on sourceforge is a fusion between asynchat and httplib, but
>> it hasn't been updated since 2001 and is seriously out of sync with
>> httplib.
> Why should it be "light"?  In what way would using Twisted cause problems
> for you?
> Jean-Paul

I'm writing an open source python client for a web service. The client may
be used in all kinds of environments - Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, web
hosting, etc by others. It is not impossible to have twisted as a
dependency, but that makes deployment a larger job than simply uploading a
Python file.

I'm willing to use twisted, but I'd like to explore lighter alternatives