Can't install ssl for Python2.5

Lacrima lacrima.maxim at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 15:16:25 EST 2010

Hello!

I use Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. It has Python 2.6 as default
installation.
And I installed Python 2.5 alongside (for the need of Google
AppEngine). But it seems like my Python 2.5 installation lacks ssl
support. I can't import ssl and starting appengine server fails with
"'module' object has no attribute 'HTTPSHandler'".
So I tried to install this: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ssl/1.15
But it failed with a very strange error:
sudo easy_install-2.5 ssl
-------------
Searching for ssl
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/ssl/
Reading http://docs.python.org/dev/library/ssl.html
Best match: ssl 1.15
Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/s/ssl/ssl-1.15.tar.gz#md5=81ea8a1175e437b4c769ae65b3290e0c
Processing ssl-1.15.tar.gz
Running ssl-1.15/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-
Kd839q/ssl-1.15/egg-dist-tmp-QCIl6J
looking for /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h
looking for /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl/ssl.h
looking for /usr/include/krb5.h
looking for /usr/kerberos/include/krb5.h
error: Setup script exited with error: SandboxViolation: open('/usr/
local/lib/python2.5/test/test_ssl.py', 'wb') {}

The package setup script has attempted to modify files on your system
that are not within the EasyInstall build area, and has been aborted.

This package cannot be safely installed by EasyInstall, and may not
support alternate installation locations even if you run its setup
script by hand.  Please inform the package's author and the
EasyInstall
maintainers to find out if a fix or workaround is available.

I don't know how to solve this problem and I am looking forward for
help.
Thanks in advance.

with regards,
Maxim.