Can't install PIL on MacOS X Leopard

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Mar 10 19:34:51 EST 2010

In article
<94070db2-91f0-47a8-a259-36378aab95ea at o3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
 phantasm <genetiq at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to install PIL module on MacOS X Leopard with python 2.6.
> Everything seemed to be fine - now I have PIL egg package in "site-
> packages" directory, but when I'm trying "import PIL", I get an error
> "ImportError: No module named PIL".
>
> All other modules such as SQL Alchemy work fine. Their EGGs reside in
> a same directory as a resulting PIL package.
>
> I've tried to install either via easy_install and manually, results
> are the same. PYTHONPATH environment variable is set to a correct
> directory. python command "import _imaging" returns no error.
>
> What I'm doing wrong?

Hard to say without more information but it does seem odd that _imaging
can be imported.  One thing to try:

$ python2.6
Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Oct 28 2009, 20:34:51)
>>> import _imaging
>>> _imaging.__file__
'/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-pac
kages/PIL/_imaging.so'
# or something like that

Make sure the file is located within the expected PIL directory.  Also
make sure there aren't any file permission problems on any of the PIL
directories and files.  I'm assuming PIL was installed as an unzipped
egg.  And double-check the contents of any .pth files.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org