Ideas for creating processes

J dreadpiratejeff at
Thu Mar 11 03:52:19 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 18:03, MRAB <python at> wrote:
> Are you sure that you would gain from doing more than one at a time?
> The bottleneck will probably be the speed of your network connection,
> and if that's working at its maximum speed with one sync then doing
> several concurrently won't save any time. (The syncs will also be
> completing for disk I/O.)

Good point MRAB... thanks for making it.

I started to wonder the same thing, but it took me a couple hours away
from working on it and a good dinner before I saw that...

Yeah, looking at it freshly now, I agree, I think I probably would be
better off running them one at a time.

The goal is to update several directories of ISO images with nightly
builds.  I can use rsync and only download images that are changed, or
I can use zsync and only download diffs (I believe that's how it
works) which is faster anyway.

The only reason I was considering doing them all simultaneously, or in
batches at least, is that I have to update 10 - 12 ISOs daily... BUT,
now that I look at it from your perspective, yeah, it would probably
be faster overall to do them one at a time instead because of the

Thanks!  That helped a lot (and probably saved me a lot of headache
later on) :-)