Python, Reportlabs, Pil and Windows 7 (64bit)

Astley Le Jasper astley.lejasper at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 08:55:56 EST 2010

I have a Windows 7 (64bit AMD) machine and am having quite a lot of
problems installing Reportlabs and Pil. I wondered if anyone else has
had the same issues and what the best way of dealing with it.

So far I've tried:

1. Reportlabs / Pil 32 installers - I've tried using these but they
can't find python. I also tried registering Python (http://effbot.org/
zone/python-register.htm) but this also fails.
2. Reportlabs / Pil Source - I downloaded each of these and tried to
do a "python setup.py install". However, both complain that they can't
find "vcvarsall.bat". I've done some checking and it's because the
compiler isn't present. Everyone is suggesting downloading Visual
Studio Express C++, but this only comes with the 32bit compiler. There
seems to be quite a lot of work to get 64bit VSE working on a 64bit
machine (http://jenshuebel.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/visual-c-2008-
express-edition-and-64-bit-targets/).

But before I start down that path, I wondered if anyone had any advice
(.... and no I don't mean suggesting I swap to Linux).

ALJ