Python, Reportlabs, Pil and Windows 7 (64bit)

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 11 11:29:26 EST 2010

On 11/03/2010 13:55, Astley Le Jasper wrote:
> I have a Windows 7 (64bit AMD) machine and am having quite a lot of
> problems installing Reportlabs and Pil. I wondered if anyone else has
> had the same issues and what the best way of dealing with it.
>
> So far I've tried:
>
> 1. Reportlabs / Pil 32 installers - I've tried using these but they
> can't find python. I also tried registering Python (http://effbot.org/
> zone/python-register.htm) but this also fails.
> 2. Reportlabs / Pil Source - I downloaded each of these and tried to
> do a "python setup.py install". However, both complain that they can't
> find "vcvarsall.bat". I've done some checking and it's because the
> compiler isn't present. Everyone is suggesting downloading Visual
> Studio Express C++, but this only comes with the 32bit compiler. There
> seems to be quite a lot of work to get 64bit VSE working on a 64bit
> machine (http://jenshuebel.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/visual-c-2008-
> express-edition-and-64-bit-targets/).
>
> But before I start down that path, I wondered if anyone had any advice
> (.... and no I don't mean suggesting I swap to Linux).
>
> ALJ

Hi,

you might get more assistance on the reportlab users mailing list at

We do have users that run both reportlab & pil on 64 bit linux architectures,
but I don't think I have ever compiled any of the extensions for 64bit windows.
The vcvarsall.bat reference is the distutils package desperately  looking for a
suitable compiler (and not finding it).

Perhaps some expert on the python list knows which versions of VS support 64bit;
I do have VS 2005/2008 etc, but I'll probably need to set up a 64bit machine to
see if they will install on a 64bit architecture.
--
Robin Becker