sqlite3 is sqlite 2?

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Fri Mar 12 00:48:52 EST 2010

gandalf at ubuntu:~$ python
Python 2.6.2 (release26-maint, Apr 19 2009, 01:56:41)
[GCC 4.3.3] on linux2
 >>> import sqlite3
 >>> sqlite3.version
'2.4.1'

Is it possible to install a real sqlite version 3 somehow? I really need
it because I have to use savepoint/rollback to. That is only supported
from sqlite 3.6.8. Is it enough if I upgrade to Ubuntu Karmic? I know
that is not a question about Python itself.

But still, it is interesting that a module named "sqlite3" can actually
be used for something called "sqlite 2".

Thanks

   Laszlo