subtraction is giving me a syntax error

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Mar 16 10:20:26 EDT 2010

On 2010-03-16, Steven D'Aprano <steven at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>> Though it may not be Microsoft Word, I think I'd still maintain that
>> an editor where you can't see a ctrl-Z or tell the difference between
>> an ASCII minus and a windows-codepage-whatever isn't a very good
>> programmer's editor.
>
> Regarding ctrl-Z (or for that matter other control characters), I
> agree it's a lack.
>
> As for not being able to see the difference between a hyphen and an
> EN- dash, or minus sign, or whatever it is, yes but they are very
> similar looking glyphs in virtually ever modern font. It would take a
> good eye to see the difference between (say) ??? ??? and -.

My point is that if it's an ASCII file, then rendering \x96 as an
em-dash isn't correct.  I'd expect it to show up highlighted somehow
in hex or octal so that I know it's a non-ASCII character.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! We are now enjoying
                                  at               total mutual interaction in