to pass self or not to pass self

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 19:11:42 EDT 2010

On Mar 17, 5:34 pm, Joaquin Abian <gatoyga... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 3:43 pm, Patrick Maupin <pmau... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 17, 4:12 am, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
>
> > 42.desthuilli... at websiteburo.invalid> wrote:

> > > A possible optimization would be a simple memoization on first access.
>
> > I do agree that memoization on access is a good pattern, and I use it
> > frequently.  I don't know if I would want the interpreter
> > automagically doing that for everything, though -- it would require
> > some thought to figure out what the overhead cost is for the things
> > that are only used once.
>
> > Usually, I will have a slight naming difference for the things I want
> > memoized, to get the memoization code to run.  For example, if you add
> > an underbar in front of everything you want memoized:
>
> > class foo(object):
>
> >     def _bar(self):
> >         pass
>
> >     def __getattr__(self, aname):
> >         if aname.startswith('_'):
> >             raise AttributeError
> >         value = getattr(self, '_' + aname)
> >         self.aname = value
> >         return value
>
> > obj = foo()
>
> > So then the first time you look up obj.bar, it builds the bound
> > method, and on subsequent accesses it just returns the previously
> > bound method.
>
> > Regards,
> > Pat
>
> Patrick, I was trying to understand the way your code was working but
> I thing I'm not getting it.
>
> I tested:
>
> from time import time
>
> class foo1(object):
>     def _bar(self):
>         pass
>     def __getattr__(self, name):
>         value = getattr(self, '_' + name)
>         self.name = value
>         return value
>
> class foo2(object):
>     def bar(self):
>         pass
>
> def a(klass, count):
>     ins = klass()
>     for i in xrange(count):
>         z = ins.bar()
>
> t0 = time()
> a(foo1,  10000000)
> t1 = time()
> a(foo2, 10000000)
> t2 = time()
>
> print t1-t0   #75 sec
> print t2-t1   #11 sec
>
> foo1 is a lot slower than foo2. I understood that memoization should
> optimize atribute calls. Maybe I am putting my foot in my mouth...
>
> Thanks
> JA

I don't think you are putting your foot in your mouth.  I always have
to test to remember what works faster and what doesn't.  Usually when
I memoize as I showed, it is not a simple attribute lookup, but
something that takes more work to create.  As I stated in my response
to Terry, I overstated my case earlier, because of some optimizations
in len(), I think.  Nonetheless, (at least on Python 2.6) I think the
advice I gave to the OP holds.  One difference is that you are doing
an attribute lookup in your inner loop.  I do find that performance
hit surprising, but to compare with what the OP is describing, you
either need to look up an unbound function in a dict and call it with
a parameter, or look up a bound method in a dict and call it without
the parameter.  Since the dict lookup doesn't usually do anything
fancy and unexpected like attribute lookup, we pull the dict lookup
out of the equation and out of the inner loop, and just do the
comparison like this:

>>> class foo(object):
...     def bar(self):
...         pass
>>> x = foo()
>>>
>>> def a(func, count):
...     for i in xrange(count):
...         z=func()
>>> def b(func, param, count):
...     for i in xrange(count):
...         z=func(param)

>>> a(x.bar,      100000000)  # 13 seconds
>>> b(foo.bar, x, 100000000)  # 18 seconds

Regards,
Pat