GC is very expensive: am I doing something wrong?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Mar 23 11:05:36 CET 2010

Paul Rubin, 23.03.2010 06:05:
> Antoine Pitrou writes:
>> "Orders of magnitude worse", in any case, sounds very exaggerated.
> The worst case can lose orders of magnitude if a lot of values hash
> to the same bucket.

While this is theoretically true, and it's good to be aware of this
possibility, common string hash functions make it so rare in practice that
a hash table will almost always outperform a trie for exact lookups. If it
happens, it will either show up clearly enough in benchmarks or not be
worth bothering.