using message loop for hotkey capturing

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 13:01:21 EDT 2010

Hi all, but mainly Tim Golden:
Tim, I am using your wonderful message loop for keyboard input, the
one on your site that you pointed me to a few months ago. It has been
working perfectly as long as I had only one dictionary of keys mapping
to one dictionary of functions, but now I want two of each. My program
has different modes, which may have varying keystrokes, and I also
have some global keystrokes which are the same across all modes, like
exiting or switching modes. I cannot figure out how to make the
message loop look in two dictionaries at onc. I tried using an if,
saying that if action_to_take was not set in the mode-specific
dictionary then look at the global dictionary, but it is like it is
never looking in the global dictionary at all. I get no syntax errors
or problems when running the program, so it has to be something in my
logic. Go to
http://www.gateway2somewhere.com/sw/main.pyw
to see what I mean; the problem code is near the very bottom of the
file. Thanks for any suggestions. Oh, please note that I indent one
space per indentation level.

--
Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)