Python is cool!!

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Mar 23 16:12:27 EDT 2010

On 23/03/2010 20:04, geremy condra wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Tim Golden<mail at timgolden.me.uk>  wrote:
>> On 23/03/2010 16:55, Jose Manuel wrote:
>>> Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
>>> read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....
>>
>> You probably want to be looking at IronPython and Silverlight.
>> In fact, the prolific Michael Foord has already produced an
>> example of this, which gives you the Python tutorial online!
>>
>>   http://trypython.org
>>
>> TJG
>
> Granted that I know next to nothing about webwork, but
> is there a reason why you recommended a competing,
> nonstandard technology rather than simply pointing him
> towards more standards compliant tools that exist to do
> exactly what he asked for? Seems a bit dodgy to
> advocate a closed solution when the alternative has 100%
> market share.

I can't say I thought *very* hard before sending that but...
The OP asked for "integrate Python in Web Pages with HTML"
which I understood -- perhaps wrongly -- to mean: run Python
in the browser. The only two ways I'm aware of doing that
in Python are the undersupported Python-as-IE-scripting-language
and IronPython/Silverlight.

Now I look again, I realise that he may have meant simply:
Python as a server-side toolset with possible support for
Javascript. In which case, of course, my answer was not
so applicable.

TJG