'gcc' failed with exit status 1

JR eire1130 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 22:51:48 EDT 2010

Hello All,

I was hoping I could get some help with this issue with getting Cython
to work. Earlier I had an issue that said "unable to find
vcvarsall.bat" and it turns out there is an active bug report that
covers that issue (I have a 64 bit windows system). I still hadn't
installed 3.1.2, so I did that tonight and now I have the issue below.
Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\James>cd C:\Python31

C:\Python31>python setup.py build_ext --inplace
running build_ext
cythoning hello.pyx to hello.c

Error converting Pyrex file to C:
def say_hello_to(name):
                      ^

C:\Python31\hello.pyx:1:23: Unrecognized character
building 'hello' extension
C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -mdll -O -Wall -IC:\Python31\include -
IC:\Pytho
n31\PC -c hello.c -o build\temp.win-amd64-3.1\Release\hello.o
hello.c:1:2: #error Do not use this file, it is the result of a failed
Cython co
mpilation.

C:\Python31>