sqlite version on windows

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Fri Mar 26 08:57:47 EDT 2010

On Mar 26, 2010, at 5:57 AM, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> On my Linux system: Python version: 2.6.2 sqlite3.sqlite_version:
> 3.6.10
> On my Windows system: Python version: 2.6.5 sqlite3.sqlite_version:
> 3.5.9
>
> Why is that? I wrote a program that uses SAVEPOINT/ROLLBACK to. It
> is only available in SQLite 3.6.8 and above. Can I install it on
> Windows somehow?

I did a little research on this for Python 2.5. What I found is that
The Python distributions for Windows from python.org are conservative
with their SQLite version. For instance, Python 2.5.0 and 2.5.4 ship
with the exact same SQLite version (3.3.4, from February 2006).

Our application dependencies state a minimum Python of 2.5. We have to
work with the lowest common denominator (2.5.0), so we can't use any
SQLite features that showed up after 3.3.4.

The few Linux distros that I checked are much more aggressive about
bundling newer versions of SQLite. For instance, Ubuntu 8.04 has
Python 2.5.2 with SQLite 3.4.2, while Ubuntu 8.10 has the same version
of Python but offers SQLite 3.5.9.

You asked "why" and I don't know. I imagine it comes down to
philosophical differences or maybe just a lack of time to test when
building new WIndows distros for Python.org.

bye
Philip