Encryption source code with md5

Sun Mar 28 10:58:18 EDT 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:08:20 -0400, Steve Holden wrote:

> catalinfest at gmail.com wrote:
>> I had a talk about Python and distribution of commercial products
>> created with python. This made me think of a way to protect my source
>> code to be distributed. I thought a live CD version and then to an
>> encryption method of a portion of source code. These thoughts are the
>> source of two questions.
>
> I'd suggest that you don't think about encrypting your source code until
> you have a rather better handle on encryption technology. Your mention
> of MD5, a hashing rather than an encryption algorithm, makes it clear
> that you aren't familiar with the technologies at present.

Furthermore, you should forget about encrypting your program until you
are sure that it is something that needs encrypting. In my experience,
most times newbies start waffling on about encrypting their precious code
(usually displaying total confusion about encryption technology), it
turns out their critical application is something like Notepad only with
fewer features.

Not that I'm jaded at all.

--
Steven