OT: Meaning of "monkey"

djc slais-www at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 09:09:48 EDT 2010

Mensanator wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2:44 pm, Phlip <phlip2... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 6:14 am, Luis M. González <luis... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, Jägermonkey,
>>> Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>>> Monkeys everywhere.
>>> Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
>>> nerdy-geek context??
>>> Luis
>> Better at typing than thinking.
>
> Really? I thought it was more of a reference to Eddington, i.e., given
> enough time even a monkey can type out a program.

Precisely, given infinite typing and zero thinking...

Note also the expression 'talk to the organ  grinder not the monkey'

and 'a trained monkey could do it'

and then there are monkey wrenches, and monkey bikes...

and never call the Librarian a monkey

--
David Clark, MSc, PhD.              UCL Centre for Publishing
                                    Gower Str London WCIE 6BT