OT: Meaning of "monkey"

Den patentsvnc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 11:50:20 EDT 2010

On Mar 26, 6:14 am, Luis M. González <luis... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, Jägermonkey,
> Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>
> Monkeys everywhere.
> Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
> nerdy-geek context??
>
> Luis

To go even more off topic, I remember Trunk Monkey commercials.

Also, I remember a web site whose intentions was to simulate monkeys
typing Shakespeare.  They had set up a distributed system where you
could contribute your computer to providing random characters, which
they compared to a selected set of Shakespeare's plays.  Just before
the site disappeared (or I lost track of it), they had received
strings representing the first maybe 15 or 20 characters of several
plays.

Den