Adding to a module's __dict__?

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Tue Mar 2 00:38:34 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> >From inside a module, I want to add a key-value pair to the module's
> __dict__.  I know I can just do:
>
> FOO = 'bar'
>
> at the module top-level, but I've got 'FOO' as a string and what I
> really need to do is
>
> __dict__['Foo'] = 'bar'
>
> When I do that, I get "NameError: name '__dict__' is not defined".  Is
> it possible to do what I'm trying to do?

Yes; just modify the dict returned by the globals() built-in function
instead. It's usually not wise to do this and is better to use a
separate dict instead, but I'll assume you know what you're doing and
have good reasons to disregard the standard advice due to your
use-case.

Cheers,
Chris
--
One should avoid using the Big Hammer unnecessarily,
but sometimes you really do need it and it's nice that it's available