Docstrings considered too complicated

Andreas Waldenburger usenot at geekmail.INVALID
Tue Mar 2 12:35:27 EST 2010

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:09:39 +0000 Mark Lawrence
<breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Andreas Waldenburger wrote:
> > [snip]
> > We did not buy code. If it were written in C or such, we would never
> > get to see it.
> >
> > It's not our concern.
> >
> > /W
> >

>  From your original post.
>
> <quote>
> a company that works with my company writes a lot of of their code in
> Python (lucky jerks). I've seen their code and it basically looks like
> this:
> </quote>
>
> So what is the relationship between your company and this other
> company?
They write a piece of software that we run as a component in a software
ecosystem that we (and others) have developed.

> When it gets down to pounds, shillings and pence (gosh, I'm
> old!:) it sure as hell could make a tremendous difference in the long
> term, given that usually maintainance costs are astronomical when
> compared to initial development costs.

I totally agree, but as long as their software works, why should we
care how their code looks? It's totally their responsibility. Why
should we nanny every partner we have?

Don't get me wrong; our whole system is more fragile than I find
comfortable. But I guess getting 10ish different parties around the
globe to work in complete unison is quite a feat, and I'm surprised it
even works as it is. But it does, and I'm glad we don't have to
micromanage other people's code.

/W

--
INVALID? DE!