conditional import into global namespace

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 13:31:13 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:46 PM, mk <mrkafk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a class that is dependent on subprocess functionality. I would like
> to make it self-contained in the sense that it would import subprocess if
> it's not imported yet.
>
> What is the best way to proceed with this?

Just import subprocess at the top of your module.  If subprocess
hasn't been imported yet, it will be imported when your module is
loaded.  If it's already been imported, your module will use the
cached version that's already been imported.

In other words, it sounds like Python already does what you want.  You
don't need to do anything special.

--
Jerry