Draft PEP on RSON configuration file format

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 14:30:32 EST 2010

On Mar 2, 11:59 am, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:

> To me, comparing object notation with programming language is not
> helpful to the OP's purpose.

Yes, I agree, it was a distraction.  I fell into the trap of
responding to the ludicrous claim that "if X is a superset of Y, then
X cannot possibly look better than Y" (a claim made by multiple people
all thinking it was clever) by showing that Y has other supersets that
do in fact look better than Y.  In doing this, I made the mistake of
choosing a superset of an analogue to Y, rather than to Y itself.
When called out on it, I showed that, in fact, the actual X that IS a
superset of Y can be used in a way that looks better.  However, you
are right that JSON is such a small subset of JS that it's really
pretty ridiculous to even compare them, but that still makes the point
that the original argument I was trying to refute is completely
specious.  In retrospect, though, I should have chosen a better way to
make that point, because I let myself get caught up in making and then
defending a flippant statement that I don't really care about one way
or the other.

> His main claim is that JSON can be usefully
> extended but that YAML is too much, so that perhaps he, with help, can
> find a 'sweet spot' in between.

An excellent summary of my position.

Thanks,
Pat