Image.frombuffer and warning

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Wed Mar 3 04:05:02 EST 2010

News123 wrote:

> I am using the PIL function from_buffer in python 2.6.4
>
> I am having the line
> im2 = Image.frombuffer('L',(wx,wy),buf)
>

> I receive the warning:
>> ./pytest.py:63: RuntimeWarning: the frombuffer defaults may change in
> a future release; for portability, change the call to read:
>>   frombuffer(mode, size, data, 'raw', mode, 0, 1)
>>   im2 = Image.frombuffer('L',(wx,wy),buf)
>

> Naively I assumed, that changing my code to
>

> im2 = Image.frombuffer('L',(wx,wy),buf,'raw','L',0,1)
>

> should fix the issue:
>
> However I receive exactly the same error as before.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I cannot reproduce the problem:

$ cat frombuffer.py
import sys
import Image
wx = 3
wy = 2
buf = "a"*wx*wy
if "--fixed" in sys.argv:
    Image.frombuffer("L", (wx, wy), buf, "raw", "L", 0, 1)
else:
    Image.frombuffer("L", (wx, wy), buf)

$ python frombuffer.py
frombuffer.py:9: RuntimeWarning: the frombuffer defaults may change in a
future release; for portability, change the call to read:
  frombuffer(mode, size, data, 'raw', mode, 0, 1)
  Image.frombuffer("L", (wx, wy), buf)
$ python frombuffer.py --fixed
$ python -c"import Image; print Image.VERSION"
1.1.6
$ python -V
Python 2.6.4

Peter