Docstrings considered too complicated

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Mar 3 14:38:16 EST 2010

mk wrote:
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>
>> Makes me want to go down to the basement and fire up the Altair.  :-)
>
> Please don't, or else I fire up that univ Yugoslavian copy of VAX with
> Pascal compiler (where I wrote my first program) and I will start my
> first program of ping-pong.
>
> It was a few hundred lines but took 5 minutes to compile; "VAX" was
> theoretically multitasking, but when more than 3 people were trying to
> do smth on it simultaneously, it was basically seizing up.
>
> Regards,
> mk

Puts me in mind of Mario Wolczko's early attempts to implement SmallTalk
on a VAX 11/750. The only bitmapped display we had available was a Three
Rivers PERQ, connected by a 9600bps serial line. We left it running at
seven o'clock one evening, and by nine am the next day it had brought up
about two thirds of the initial VM loader screen ...

You tell these young kids, and they just don't believe you!

regards
 Steve

PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/