PYTHONPATH and eggs

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 21:24:24 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM, geoffbache <geoff.bache at jeppesen.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, the location from PYTHONPATH ends up after the eggs in
> sys.path so I can't persuade Python to import my version. The only way
> I've found to fix it is to copy the main script and manually hack
> sys.path at the start of it which isn't really very nice. I wonder if
> there is any better way as I can't be the first person to want to do
> this, surely?

One way is to never install things as eggs: I have a script
hard_install which forces things to always install with
--single-externally-managed blablabla. This has worked very well for
me, but may not always be applicable (in particular if you are on a
platform where building things from sources is difficult).

cheers,

David