Working group for Python CPAN-equivalence?

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 10:47:11 EST 2010

On Mar 3, 5:30 pm, Ben Finney <ben+pyt... at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> writes:
>
> > On 3/3/2010 12:05 PM, John Nagle wrote:
>
> > > CPAN enforces standard organization on packages. PyPi does not.
>
> This is, I think, something we don't need as much in Python; there is a
> fundamental difference between Perl's deeply nested namespace hierarchy
> and Python's inherently flat hierarchy.

What do you think that difference is? Both use nested namespaces. My
understanding is that if 2 different dists contain like-named
packages, and if a user installs both of them, they all just go to the
same place in the user's site-packages dir.

One difference I see is that the CPAN has a *lot* of dist's which
constitute a very large number of modules. Keeping them organized by a
semi-agreed-upon hierarchy of packages seems like a great
organizational tool.

---John