NoSQL Movement?

ccc31807 cartercc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:52:06 EST 2010

On Mar 4, 11:51 am, Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente <magnic... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> No, relations are data.

This depends on your definition of 'data.' I would say that
relationships is information gleaned from the data.

> "Data is data" says nothing. Data is
> information.

To me, data and information are not the same thing, and in particular,
data is NOT information. To me, information consists of the sifting,
sorting, filtering, and rearrangement of data that can be useful in
completing some task. As an illustration, consider some very large
collection of ones and zeros -- the information it contains depends on
whether it's views as a JPEG, an EXE, XML, WAV, or other sort of
information processing device. Whichever way it's processed, the
'data' (the ones and zeros) stay the same, and do not constitute
'information' in their raw state.

> Actually, all data are relations: relating /values/ to
> /properties/ of /entities/. Relations as understood by the "relational
> model" is nothing else but assuming that properties and entities are
> first class values of the data system and the can also be related.

Well, this sort of illustrates my point. The 'values' of 'properties'
relating to specific 'entities' depends on how one processes the data,
which can be processed various ways. For example, 10000001 can either
be viewed as the decimal number 65 or the alpha character 'A' but the
decision as to how to view this value isn't inherent in the data
itself, but only as an artifact of our use of the data to turn it into
information.

CC.