Slicing [N::-1]

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 19:09:06 EST 2010

On Mar 5, 3:42 pm, Gary Herron <gher... at islandtraining.com> wrote:
> Mensanator wrote:
>
> > The only way to get a 0 from a reverse range() is to have a bound of
> > -1.
>
> Not quite.  An empty second bound goes all the way to the zero index:

Not the same thing. You're using the bounds of the slice index.
I was refering to the bounds of the range() function.

>>> for a in range(9,-9,-1):print(a,end=' ')
9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8

To get that to stop at 0, you use a -1 as the bounds:

>>> for a in range(9,-1,-1):print(a,end=' ')
9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

Your slice notation only works if the last (first?) number in
the range happens to be 0. What if the range bounds were variables?
You may still want to force the range's last number to be 0 by
using a constant like range(a,-1,-1) rather than just take
the last number of range(a,b,-1) by using slice notation.