Conditional based on whether or not a module is being used

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 03:17:51 EST 2010

On Mar 7, 12:34 pm, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> My own impression of theloggingmodule, formed from trying to use its
> documentation in the past, is that it's somewhat unapproachable, and
> difficult to use for simple purposes.
>
> I am happy to say that now I see the current (3.1) documentation it has
> improved to the point where I would be happy to try using it again.
> Thanks for your long-term maintenance of this package.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the positive feedback. The initial documentation for the
logging package, because it lives in the library section of the
overall documentation, was focused more on completeness of coverage
for reference usage, rather than a more tutorial-based approach.
Thanks to work by Doug Hellmann and others, the documentation has
grown, over time, more accessible to Python novices. It's still not
perfect, and I hope to be able to improve its clarity in the future,
by getting help where possible from people who are better at technical
writing than I am.

I'm reviewing the documentation at the moment, as it happens, and it
still seems hard to be able to put together a structure which is good
for everyone. A full treatment, it seems to me, would talk a little
about the detail of why things work as they do; but a lot of the time,
people are just interested in getting going with the package, and less
interested in the whys and wherefores. But for people trying to do
more than the basics, that deeper understanding is sometimes
necessary. The hard part is satisfying all audiences in one document!

Regards,

Vinay Sajip