Python Script to get Info from Site not working

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 11 07:37:20 EST 2010

Jimbo wrote:
> On Mar 11, 12:38 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
> wrote:
>> En Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:06:41 -0300, Jimbo <nill... at yahoo.com> escribió:
>>
>>> I found a semi Python & internet tutorial here if anyone else would
>>> like ithttp://www.upriss.org.uk/python/session6.html
>>> My script is meant to find which radio button is selected & tell me
>>> that. But it just keeps saying "No Drink Selected!"
>> Are you sure? From the code you posted, the message should read "You need
>> to select a drink!", not that one.
>
>> Replace the last line with something like this, to see what you are
>> getting exactly:
>>
>>         print("Sorry, no %r (%r) available." % (
>>            drink,
>>            cgi.escape(repr(type(drink)))))
>>
>> BTW, which Python version are you using? The tutorial you linked to is
>> aimed at Python 2.x, but your print syntax suggests you're using Python 3.x
>>
>> --
>> Gabriel Genellina
>
> Yeah that("You need to select a drink!") was the string I was getting
> but I should be getting hot chocolate or something else(which ever one
> I have selected)
>
> I am using 3.x, do you think I should be using something else? Also
> the your code I put in does the some thing, just now it says "Sorry no
> none drink available" all the time.

It may not seem like it, but you *are* making progress here (of a sort).

>From the information you have given us so far it appears that your call
to form.getvalue() is returning None (which is of type <type 'NoneType'>
- your browser is probably not displaying this because it sees it as a
bogus HTML tag.

Perhaps you haven't yet realised the importance of exact copy-and-paste
here. What I'd like you to do is change the line

drink = form.getvalue("drink")

drink = form.getfirst("drink", "No drink selected")

then have you browser display the HTML source of the response page your
program is returning and paste that into a reply to this mail.

You might also want to take a look at

  http://docs.python.org/3.1/library/cgi.html

for further information about the Python library your are trying to use.
In particular I'd recommend heeding its advice about use of the cgitb
module.

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/