NoSQL Movement?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Fri Mar 12 09:30:51 EST 2010

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 01:05:27 -0800
Jonathan Gardner <jgardner at jonathangardner.net> wrote:
> Let me give you an example. I worked on a system that would load
> recipients for email campaigns into a database table. The SQL database
> was nice during the initial design and prototype stage because we
> could quickly adjust the tables to add or remove columns and try out
> different designs.. However, once our system got popular, the
> limitation was how fast we could load recipients into the database.

Just curious, what database were you using that wouldn't keep up with
you?  I use PostgreSQL and would never consider going back to flat
files.  The only thing I can think of that might make flat files faster
is that flat files are buffered whereas PG guarantees that your
information is written to disk before returning but if speed is more
important than 100% reliability you can turn that off and let PG use
the file system buffering just like flat files.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves