What does Error: 'module' object is not callable Mean?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Sun Mar 14 14:41:25 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Cal Who <CalWhoNOSPAM at roadrunner.com>wrote:

> The below code produces the error as indicated. But, in
>  E:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\ffnet\tools I see:
>    drawffnet.py
>    drawffnet.pyc
>    drawffnet.pyo
> Is that what it is looking for?
>
> I'm not sure what "not callable" means.
> Could it be referencing to "nn" rather than drawffnet?
> What should I do to investigate this?
>
> Thanks
> from ffnet import ffnet, mlgraph, readdata
>
> ...snipped working code here ...
>
> output, regression = nn.test(inputs2, targets2, iprint = 2)
>
> from ffnet.tools import drawffnet
> import pylab
> drawffnet(nn)   #Error: 'module' object is not callable
> pylab.show()
> except ImportError, e:
> print "Cannot make drawffnet plot."

In Python, everything is an object. Certain objects, like functions, are
callable. Other objects, like modules are not. You have a module mapped to
the name "drawffnet". Python tries to call that object, but it isn't
callable. If there is a function drawffnet inside the drawffnet module (I'm
not familiar with the package, so I don't know), you need to call that
specifically.

drawffnet.drawffnet(nn)