problem with variable and function

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Sun Mar 14 15:24:11 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Alex Hall <mehgcap at gmail.com> wrote:
> Below is pasted the function which is looking for the "funcs"
> dictionary, as well as the dictionary. They appear in my py file in
> this order, yet I get an error in nextMode() that "global name 'funcs'
> is not defined". Oddly, the keys dictionary works fine; it is defined
> above the nextMode function.

Please include the full exception Traceback.
Also, please don't top-post in the future.

> def nextMode():
>  global HOTKEYS
>  global HOTKEY_ACTIONS
>  global mode

You don't need a `global` declaration unless your function needs to
rebind the global variable in question.
So you can remove the next 4 global declarations; they're unnecessary.

>  global modes
>  global modeNum
>  global modeNames
>  global funcs
>  #mode=mode+1
>  #check to make sure the newly selected mode is enabled
>  tmp=0
>  while(tmp<modeNum):
>  mode=(mode+1)%modeNum
>  if(sys.modules[modeNames[mode]].enabled=='True'):
>   break #break on the first enabled mode we find
>  #end if
>  tmp+=1
>  #end while
>  HOTKEYS=keys[mode]
>  HOTKEY_ACTIONS=funcs[mode]
>  registerHotkeys()
>  speak("Now in "+str(modes[mode])+" mode.")
> #end def
>
> #we now have the default mode to be used, but what if it is disabled?
> if(sys.modules[modeNames[mode]].enabled=='False'):
>  nextMode()

How is this call supposed to work when `funcs` (which nextMode() uses)
hasn't been defined yet?!

Cheers,
Chris
--