class inheritance

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Tue Mar 16 08:35:54 EDT 2010

Carl Banks wrote:
> On Mar 15, 4:34 pm, JLundell <jlund... at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> It's also unfortunate that Python doesn't have an approximately-equal
>> operator; it'd come in handy for floating-point applications while
>> preserving hash. If only there were a ~=r ≈ operator I could
>> overload. And ~ is unary, so no joy.
>>

> One problem with it is that there's no way to make it universal;
> different appiplications have different ideas of close.  Conceivably
> it could be usefully defined for a user type though..
>
> Bacause of this problem almost no languages have an almost equal
> operator.  I'm curious what languages do, of if there are any with a
> trinary operator that also takes a threshold.
>
> Carl Banks

If I recall correctly, APL has a *fuzz* value, which is used in all(?)
comparisons. But I do not recall anything about how it was defined. I do
recall that you could change the threshold, and suspect it was relative
to the operands. For symmetry, it would probably have to be relative to
the average of the two values, or some such.