Python bindings tutorial

MikeLisanke@gmail.com mikelisanke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 05:08:18 EDT 2010

On Mar 16, 3:12 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
wrote:
> En Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:20:40 -0300, Johny <pyt... at hope.cz> escribió:
>
> > Is there any tutorial how to write a bindings for a exe ( dos)
> > program?
> > I would like to run it from a Python directly
> > ( using import command and a particular function from the binding)
> >  not using os.system command.
>
> Do you mean that you want to execute a particular function in the .exe
> program?
> That's not possible (ok, you *could* do that if you work hard enough, but
> that's not how things are usually done)
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

Gabriel,

Its interesting you've mentioned the hard work involved in this
interface (binding to an EXE instead of a DLL). A year or more ago I
was looking at interfacing IPMITOOL to python. Do to the problems
incurred with swig/python I switched to a running the process through
its command-line interface. I always felt the problems in interfacing
python to an EXE should be worked on (to minimize them), making the
direct use of an EXE API's a routine task. I understand some of the
problems using an EXE (not running all of its startup code   but
enough for its proper operation). Have you found this a recurring
question? Thanks.

Regards, Mike