Python bindings tutorial

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Thu Mar 18 19:13:59 EDT 2010

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> * Dave Angel:
>> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>>> -moz-fixed">MikeLisanke at gmail.com, 17.03.2010 10:08:
>>>
>>> I think the point here is that executable binaries are not supposed
>>> to be used as libraries. Libraries are. That's the difference
>>> between a DLL and an executable in the first place. To run an
>>> executable, execute it. The subprocess module is the tool of choice
>>> here. To use a DLL, link against it.
>>>
>>> Stefan
>>>
>> There's no real reason parts of an exe cannot be exported, same as a
>> dll.  They are in fact the same structure.  And in fact many other
>> files in the Windows environment are also the same structure, from
>> fonts to ocx's
>>
>> Saying they're "not supposed to be used" is like saying that a python
>> module should not have an
>>
>> if __name__ == "__main__":
>>
>> section.  After all, who could want to both run a file, and import
>> the same file??
>
> A Windows DLL has defined initialization and cleanup per process and
> per thread.
>
> This means that e.g. static variables can be properly initialized when
> you load the DLL in order to use its functions (I'm skipping
> discussion of subtle problems, but that's the essence).
>
> A Windows EXE has (only) a single entry point which is for process
> startup. It invokes the EXE's behavior-as-a-program. There is no way
> to use it to e.g. initialize static variables in order to use exported
> functions.
>
> Hence Mike Lisanke's idea of "not running all of its startup code but
> enough for its proper operation" is generally not possible.
>
> An EXE can be used as a kind of server, /if/ it is designed for that.
> In particular it can be a COM server, allowing access of its
> functionality from any COM-enabled binding, which for Python would
> mean OLE Automation (COM, OLE, Automation: this is Microsoft
> technology, we're talking Windows EXEs here). But a Python binding to
> EXEs in general can't, as far as I can see, make assumptions about any
> particular kind of server being implemented by the EXE.
>

> Cheers & hth.,
>
> - Alf

I'm not talking about COM servers, which run in a separate process.
Only about calling functionality that happens to be encoded in an .EXE file.

You're trying to generalize what I said.  I never said you could call
into any .EXE file, just that calling into one is not infeasible.
You're describing using an .EXE written using the Microsoft C compiler
and/or libraries, not a Windows .EXE in general.  In any case, whenever
you link to a module written in a different environment, you'll have
restrictions.  Chief among them is the use of a compatible memory model,
the stack conventions, the allocators, and so on..  Solving the thread
issue is probably the easiest one to fix.

I'm not recommending it, just refuting the "not supposed to" quote above.

DaveA