subtraction is giving me a syntax error

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 22 10:26:10 EDT 2010

In article <56597268-3472-4fd9-a829-6d9cf51cf093 at e7g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
Joel Pendery  <joel.pendery at gmail.com> wrote:
>So I am trying to write a bit of code and a simple numerical
>subtraction
>
>y_diff = y_diff-H
>
>is giving me the error
>
>Syntaxerror: Non-ASCII character '\x96' in file on line 70, but no
>encoding declared.
>
>Even though I have deleted some lines before it and this line is no
>longer line 70, I am still getting the error every time.  I have tried
>to change the encoding of the file to utf-8 but to no avail, I still
>am having this issue.  Any ideas?

Make a hex-dump of your file. How does line 70 look?
If you see
0900 66 66 96 48 0A  --              ff.H.

you know you are doing something illegal.

>Thanks in advance

Groetjes Albert

P.S. With all due respect, error messages come not any clearer than
that!

albert at spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst