'gcc' failed with exit status 1

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Mar 24 02:48:58 EDT 2010

JR, 24.03.2010 03:51:
> I was hoping I could get some help with this issue with getting Cython
> to work. Earlier I had an issue that said "unable to find
> vcvarsall.bat" and it turns out there is an active bug report that
> covers that issue (I have a 64 bit windows system). I still hadn't
> installed 3.1.2, so I did that tonight and now I have the issue below.
> Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?
>

> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
> Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Users\James>cd C:\Python31
>
> C:\Python31>python setup.py build_ext --inplace
> running build_ext
> cythoning hello.pyx to hello.c
>
> Error converting Pyrex file to C:
> def say_hello_to(name):
>                        ^
>
> C:\Python31\hello.pyx:1:23: Unrecognized character

Given that you're on Windows, this looks like a known bug in Cython:

http://trac.cython.org/cython_trac/ticket/520

This is due to the lack of universal newline support in the codecs module,
which has been fixed in the new Py2.6+ 'io' module. A patch for Cython that
switches to the new 'io' module and works around this issue in older Python
versions is available:

http://hg.cython.org/cython-devel/raw-rev/751bdd38b55c

That being said, the simplest way to work around this issue is to switch to
Unix line endings in your source file. Most editors support this without
problems.

Stefan