Any examples/documentation for python-newt

Harishankar v.harishankar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 11:12:57 EDT 2010

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:56:30 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2010-03-27, Harishankar <v.harishankar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I've used it for some trivial stuff, but not for anything very
>>> sophisticated.  Redhat's text-mode installer program (anaconda) was
>>> written in Python using Newt (I believe it is why Newt was invented).
>>> That's probably the most "full featured" example I know of.
>>
>> Does your code use forms in an application loop?
>
> Not really.  It uses a series of forms.  I don't think I ever stack
> forms.
>
>> I am having a bit of trouble with getting the form to stack up properly
>> when I displaying another. As far as I know the two examples uses a
>> single instance of a form which is discarded immediately on exit.
>
> That's pretty much all my program did.
>
>> If you have even a small code sample I wouldn't mind reading it!
>
> I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to post it.

Thanks anyway.

I'm taking a look at text.py in the anaconda source code tree here:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/anaconda.git?
p=anaconda.git;a=blob_plain;f=text.py;hb=HEAD

I'm afraid it looks as though newt was primarily built to display a
series of forms in order, like an installer does, so it is inherently
limited by that interface. However, it might still be what I can use...

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://literaryforums.org)