Classes as namespaces?

News123 news1234 at free.fr
Sun Mar 28 06:25:36 EDT 2010

Hi STephen,

Stephen Hansen wrote:

> That said...
>
>> [*] My own subjective dislike for the widespread practice of using
>> triple quotes to comment out code is formally similar to this one
>> ("the 'intended use' for triple-quoting is not to comment out code",
>> etc.).  Here I find myself on the opposite side of the purist/pragmatic
>> divide.  Hmmm.
>
> What?!
>
> Where do you get this "widespread practice"? You mentioned that before
> when you last posted about that and I forgot to comment. I've never seen
> it.
I wouldn't say it's wide spread, but definitely something one
encounters. Especially with python rather new to python

> In the 110k lines of in-house code I maintain, we don't use it once; we
> have somewhere around 300k lines of third-party code from a wide range
> of sources, and although I haven't reviewed it all by any means, I
> regularly have to peek over it and I never seen triple quoted "comments".
>
> Hell, I almost never see commented -code-. Code should only be commented
> while fiddling or debugging. Once fiddlng is done, dead code should be
> removed.
>
> I'm sure it -happens- every once in awhile, but.. why? Who uses editors
> that can't block comment/uncomment anymore? :(

I had to explain block comment / uncomment to some collegues before the
triple quote commenting disappeared from our code.
Unfortunaltely everybody uses a different type of editor, so I googled
for them to show them what their editors can do.

You'd be surprised how many people do neither master their editors nor
care for it.

bye