Encryption source code with md5

Harishankar v.harishankar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 10:39:12 EDT 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:08:20 -0400, Steve Holden wrote:

> catalinfest at gmail.com wrote:
>> I had a talk about Python and distribution of commercial products
>> created with python. This made me think of a way to protect my source
>> code to be distributed. I thought a live CD version and then to an
>> encryption method of a portion of source code. These thoughts are the
>> source of two questions.
>
> I'd suggest that you don't think about encrypting your source code until
> you have a rather better handle on encryption technology. Your mention
> of MD5, a hashing rather than an encryption algorithm, makes it clear
> that you aren't familiar with the technologies at present.
>
> There's nothing wrong with ignorance (I have a more than adequate supply
> of my own), but in encryption it's *very* easy to make mistakes that
> render whole systems vulnerable to trivial attack. So you do really need
> to know what you are doing.
>
> regards
>  Steve

This article offers some good ideas and also sums up some good points
*against* code obfuscation.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/261638/how-do-i-protect-python-code

Read it and judge whether the benefits of not obfuscating code outweighs
the advantages of obfuscating it.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://literaryforums.org)