How to check when OCRing is finished

Chris Rebert crebert at ucsd.edu
Mon May 3 13:53:31 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:44 AM, varnikat t <varnikat22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> How to check if OCR engine  like cuneiform,ocropus,ocrad OCRing an image has
> completed the job if running it from a  python program?
>
> I am using a progress bar on the front end to show the OCRing progress
> happening in background but how to stop progress bar automatically when
> OCRing is done.
>
> As of now, I am just running the timer for a few seconds (considering the
> maximum time taken by ocropus and for high resolution image) but then the
> OCRing time varies for different engines and different images.Some take less
> and some take more.
>
> Any solutions?

I believe one generally uses an "indeterminate progress bar", throbber
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throbber), or other similar widget
rather than a normal progress bar when the time an operation will take
is indeterminate or can't be accurately estimated (in this case, due
to invoking an external program which apparently does not report its
intermediate progress). I presume such widgets have a way to be easily
notified, and thus in turn indicate to the user, when an operation has
indeed been completed.

Cheers,
Chris
--