Django as exemplary design

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:13:42 EDT 2010

On May 3, 12:24 pm, TomF <tomf.sess... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in improving my python design by studying a large,
> well-designed codebase.  Someone (not a python programmer) suggested
> Django.  I realize that Django is popular, but can someone comment on
> whether its code is well-designed and worth studying?

I once delved into django because I wanted to use a couple of the
administrative tools for non-web tasks, and found it to be
disappointingly ad hoc.  It it makes some assumptions about file
locations and module names (unnecessarily, IMO).  It works well as
long as someone sticks to the rigid conventions, but can't cope well
with deviances.  Therefore I'd call its codebase less than exemplary.

As a tool it's quite good (as long as you can stick to the prescribed
layout) but that's a different question.

Carl Banks