new extension generator for C++

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue May 4 01:51:07 EDT 2010

Rouslan Korneychuk, 03.05.2010 22:44:
> So I looked for other solutions and noticed that Py++ (which simply
> generates Boost.Python code for you) was based on a seperate program
> called GCCXML. I figured I could use GCCXML and generate code however I
> wanted. So I did.
>
> My program generates human-readable code (it even uses proper
> indentation). The program still has a lot of work to be done on it, but
> it can already generate working Python extensions.

Last I heard, that was basically what PyBindGen does (and probably some
other existing binding generators). You should take a look at them before
investing too much time into a duplicated effort.

Also, if you're interested in performance, you should take a look at
Cython, which is an optimising compiler for (basically) Python code that
can talk to C, C++ and Fortran code. It's been used a lot for writing
performance critical library wrappers.

Stefan