Broken pipe

cerr ron.eggler at gmail.com
Fri May 7 01:27:28 EDT 2010

Hi There,

I'm very new to Python and i wanna write a script that sends a certain
string to a server. The code I came up with looks like this:
#!/usr/bin/python

import sys
import string

from socket import *
usage="USAGE: "+sys.argv[0]+" <server> <port>";
if len(sys.argv) != 3:
              print usage;
              sys.exit(0);
host = sys.argv[1];
port = sys.argv[2];
buf = 1024;
addr = (host,port);
sock = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM);
data = string.join("NovaxTest",'\n');
sock.send(data);
sock.close();
and I'm calling this script like that: "./TestService.py 127.0.0.1
1514" but when I call it I get following back:
sending data to 127.0.0.1:1514
data: NovaxTest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./TestService.py", line 18, in <module>
    sock.send(data);
socket.error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
I understand that UNIX sends an Errno32 if the server closes the
connection. But if i telnet to localhost on 1514 and send NovaxTest by
hand everything works just fine. So what might be wrong here?

Thank you very much!
Ron